Saturday, December 5, 2009

The Parrot


I don't have a lot of luck pet-sitting.

My neighbors asked me if I could watch their dog and parrot for a week while they were on vacation. I visited twice and day and took really good care of them. Talking to the bird, playing with the dog...you couldn't get a better house-sitter. The day before they got back I organized their mail into a nice little pile and made sure the pets were well-set for their return.

The next day I got a call from them.

"So how long has the parrot been dead?" they asked.

I was shocked, I had just had a great talk with the bird the night before. I explained that it must have died during the night, and they were really nice and understanding. Even though I refused to get paid, they wrote me a generous check.

I kept on forgetting to cash the check because I was pretty busy. I was talking with them about a month after the bird died, and they started talking about how considerate it was that I didn't cash the check.

I had just cashed it that morning.

I might submit a shorter version to fml. But pretty much, if you ever need a house-sitter be sure to let me know!

2 comments:

martha said...

jason, i just love you so much hahaha you cease to have hilarious stories. next time i go out of town, i'll have you come feed my fish.

Leanna said...

this story pretty much makes my life complete :-)