Sunday, October 11, 2009

Roast Recovery



"A roast, in North American English, is an event in which an individual is subject to publicly bearing comedic insults, praise, outlandish true and untrue stories and heartwarming tributes. The implication being that the roastee is able to take the jokes in good faith and not as serious criticism or insult, and therefore show their good nature. It is seen as a great honor to be roasted, as the individual is surrounded by friends, fans, and well-wishers, who can receive some of the same treatment as well during the course of the evening. The party and presentation itself are both referred to as a roast. The host of the event is called the roastmaster. Anyone who is honored in such a way is said to have been 'roasted.'"

What an honor to be a chosen roastee! Perhaps...

Some of the highlights of the "Jason Alleger Roast 2009" included:
-Baby Gap, to which I still don't have a comeback for...
-Hoover Dam story. Once you've seen it and walked most of the way across, there's no need to go the rest of the way!
-My sense of direction. One story told about me getting directions to go around the corner.
-Torch juggling incident, told from an eye-witness. It was followed by an embellished story of me shaving my legs afterwards, only partially true.
-Ice Skating. Not a natural ability of mine.
-Snuggies. Yes, I take full credit.
-Pick up line: "If you were a pirate, would you have a parrot on this shoulder, or this shoulder?" Never actually used it, although it seems more appealing every time I hear it.
-Turning on lights. Is this really a bad thing? Life is more enjoyable with light, you get more things done, etc. Living like a caveman...not my style.

My stomach hurt the entire night, both from laughing so hard and from churning every time someone would get up to tell a story. I enjoyed the formality of the event, and that every 'roast' ended with "Boom, roasted" as if to emphasize their point and make sure the knife was fully penetrated in. This night was a tribute to all that is good in life. As Christy put it, "every moment with Jason is a roast anyway," so I'll keep on living the dream.

In an effort to "roast" some of the attendees, I hope this picture I stole from Beaz' blog will suffice:

2 comments:

Kels H.M. said...

But Jason... you're also in the picture... boom.

I'm sorry I missed this - it sounds awesome & I heard the dress code was fairly awesome.

Kels H.M. said...

PS - The last word verification thing was "dahang," which I'm pretty sure was exactly what I said when I found out the Roast & the Snow Patrol concert were on the same night. You go, blogspot.