Monday, January 24, 2011

Giant Spider

I am decided that there are no spiders in Utah. Good thing, because spiders make my skin crawl (pun intended).

I have probably encountered one of the largest spiders in all of history. Easily the size of my hand, this arachnid had extra sets of eyes and its fur looked like daggers.

You can't stay in a house with this type of spider. It will find you. Determined to kill it, my friend and I got a broom and squeegy to act as both our weapons and defense tools.

Before striking, my friend explained to me that if we didn't get it on our first strike that the spider would mark us, climb the wall and onto the ceiling, and drop on us to attack. All in a matter of seconds.

Hence, I made a mental note that if we missed I would go running and screaming like a little girl.

We stood in anticipation with our deadly broom and squeegy. Silent. I waited for him. He waited for me. The spider licked her giant fangs, I'm sure choosing a juicy spot on my neck to bite.

Sweaty and reluctant, my buddy and I made eye contact and thrust forth our weapons.

The beast surprisingly didn't move. With the blow she oozed some thick green substance that literally slid down the wall.

Then we saw why she hadn't moved - she was a mother. The wall instantly became alive as millions of little spiders, obviously who were nesting on their large mom. It is surreal how a wall can look like it's moving.

Needless to say I did not return to that room for days. And I don't like spiders.

This is probably what the spider looked like up close, although exponentially larger:




No comments: