Thursday, November 19, 2009

What Freshmen, Monsters, and Meteors have in Common


On my first day of class I realized there had been a mistake.

The teacher was explaining how the testing center works, what an iClicker is, and that all of the guys should stay clean-shaven. He then asked how many students in the class were freshmen, to which almost all of the enthusiastic arms in the class shot up. I knew I had forgotten something my freshmen year, and this class was it.

Have you ever been in a class with someone doing sign language? It's pretty distracting.
Now have you ever sat next to a Periodic Table the size of a small house? You can't take your eyes off of it.

Right next to me every day is this amazing Periodic Table with all of the elements, and I feel almost like a bug looking into a light. It encapsulates you. I sit there trying to guess what Thorium and Einstenium is. Maybe I've seen it before. Maybe it's in the gum I'm chewing.

One would think that after three months analyzing this monster that I would have conquered it and since gotten bored, moved on, or become so completely absorbed that I look forward to the stare down. Definitely the latter.

Aside from being surrounded by freshmen writing letters to missionaries and sitting beside a looming, fact-filled distraction there has been one benefit of taking the class: meteors.

I spent Monday night up the canyon watching the meteor shower, laying on the snow-covered ground with blankets and coats and leaving behind any idea of personal space. Tuesday night I saw the biggest meteor I had ever seen light up the sky like day. And finally Physical Science has a purpose!

I was told this past week that I could have taken Astronomy instead. MLIA.

Anyways, this video shows the meteor seen on Tuesday.

2 comments:

martha said...

that meteor shower was definitely a good idea. and so was yoga tonight. we need to do that at least weekly.

BEAZER said...

i have a giant periodic table on the wall of every class. sometimes three of them.

welcome to science, jason!